For the veggie lovers; Spinach, Tomato and Onion Pizza.
The secret to a peaceful (chuckles!!!!) married life is to keeping your bitter half (just kidding) I mean better half blissfully happy. So the day I got married to a girl who is ready to eat pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner was the day pizza became a go-to meal in my house. This simple spinach, tomato and onion pizza with the made from scratch pizza dough is mouthwateringly delicious and will get your senses tingling in no time.
My wife Maddy and I had what you would call by today’s standards a traditional Indian marriage. By traditional I mean boy and girl find each other on a matchmaking website start talking and things move on from there. In our case my mother told me about this girl who wanted to meet me when I was home on a 3 week vacation. So like the obedient son that I am I agree to the meet. Imagine my surprise when this girl keeps me waiting for a good 90 minutes before she shows up. As if that was not enough she changed the place where we were supposed to meet 3 times. To this day I don’t know why I waited for her that day but I sure am glad that I did. Maybe it was destiny but that wait changed my life forever and the rest as they say is history.
Very quickly in our life together I realized that this girl loves her pizzas. This year was the first time we celebrated her birthday together and it was a no-brainer for me to take her out to a pizza place for dinner. We went to Mafiozas which serves the best pizzas in Nashville in my book. The moment she walked into the restaurant she was acting like a kid in candyland. She was completely enamored by the wood-fired oven and the piping hot pizza that arrived at our table.
Since then I have tried to learn the fine art of pizza-making. After a lot of effort which included countless experiments with the pizza dough I finally nailed the recipe. The easy part is the toppings since pizza is such a versatile vehicle on which you can let your imagination run wild. But this time I kept it simple and went with a basic spinach, tomato and onion pizza.
Dissolve the sugar in hot water and add yeast into the mixture. Stir gently and set aside until the yeast starts to bloom.
Combine the flour and salt. Add in the yeast to the mixture and knead slowly to form soft dough. The key to make a great crust is the proper kneading technique. The technique is folding and kneading with the heel of your palm. The dough should feel smooth and elastic.
Coat the dough with oil, put it in a warm place and let it rise for about 45 minutes.
Heat oil in a flat-bottom pan over medium heat. Add the spinach in small increments. After the spinach is cooked add half the tomato puree and the dry spice powders. Season with salt. Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes. Allow it to cool.
Turn the dough over on a lightly floured surface and stretch it to the desired thickness. Poke holes in the dough to prevent it from bursting in the oven.
Evenly spread the remaining half of the tomato puree on to the dough and then spread the spinach mixture onto the crust. Top it with tomatoes, onion and cheese.
Bake in the oven at 400 F for 20 mins until crust is golden brown. Slice and enjoy !!
Click here to like us on FACEBOOK
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Hot Water
- 300 gram Spinach (roughly chopped)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 small Onion (sliced)
- 4 tbsp Tomato Puree
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Cheese (as desired)
- Dissolve the sugar in hot water and add yeast into the mixture. Mix and set aside for 10 mins till the yeast starts to bloom.
- Mix the flour and salt. Add the yeast to this mixture and knead slowly to form soft dough.
- The key to making a great crust is the proper kneading technique. The technique is folding and kneading with the heal of your palm till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Apply oil on the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a flat-bottom pan over medium heat.
- Add the spinach in small increments.
- After the spinach is cooked add half of the tomato puree and the dry spice powders.
- Season with salt.
- Cook the mixture for about 5 mins.
- Allow it to cool.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and stretch it the desired thickness.
- Evenly spread the remaining half of the tomato puree.
- Spread the spinach mixture onto the crust.
- Top it with tomato, onion and cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 400 F for 20 mins until crust is golden brown.
- Slice and enjoy !!