Light, Healthy Lentil Spring Rolls filled with fresh Veggies!!!
I need to come to terms with the fact that my crazy work schedule is simply not going to let up for at least the next 2 months. One way out of this predicament is coming up with some quick and easy recipes. For a crazy person like me who loves to twist things up, simplifying things just doesn’t come easy (CHUCKLES!!!). But I made the effort and came up with these “LENTIL SPRING ROLLS”.
As far as I am concerned another hectic week has passed in the blink of an eye. That is what happens when you are working on a very important project. In addition to that I had few other deadlines to meet. So I felt like I was coming home everyday just to eat and sleep. My daily ritual was “WAKEUP, WORK, SLEEP.. REPEAT!!!!. Then I come home Thursday evening and wifey dear reminded me that our kitchen was empty and we needed to go grocery shopping.
My first reaction was a loud GROAN since I had to go WORK and had absolutely no time. But we ended up in the grocery store the very next day. The reason is going to be obvious to everyone. I had to eat to be able to work.. (CHUCKLES!!). On a serious note the timing of this trip to the grocery store was also perfect for me. Under the pressure of my work I had simply forgotten about the recipe for my weekend post. So what better way to get inspired than to be surrounded by fresh ingredients in the grocery store??
My inspiration for this dish came from a very unlikely source. An ingredient that I had never touched in my whole life “RICE PAPER”. The moment my eyes fell on the packet of rice paper I knew I was going to make spring rolls. The only thing left was to figure out the filling. This is when my mind went into overdrive and came up with another unlikely ingredient; LENTILS. I had recently come across a recipe for “LENTIL CHAAT” and decided to use that as a base for my rolls.
The first thing to do is to cook the lentils. So heat a pot over medium heat, add rinsed red lentils and 2 cups of water. Cover and simmer until cooked. Drain the water. While cooking the lentils I was careful in maintaining the shape of the lentils. Alternatively you can mash them up also.
Since a chaat was my inspiration I added lemon juice, chaat masala, cumin powder, serrano chili to the lentils. Garnish with cilantro. Season with salt. Prep the veggies of your choice for the filling. I used carrots, red cabbage and spinach.
Now we are ready to assemble. Keep in mind rice paper is soft and tears easily. So be gentle in making these rolls.
Pour water in a bowl, large enough to dip a sheet of rice paper. Place a rice paper in the water and let it soak for 30 sec. Remove from the water, shake off the excess and place on a flat surface.
Note : Do not place on a wood surface, use a plastic or ceramic.
Spoon red lentil mixture to the bottom 1/3 of the rice paper, top it with carrots, red cabbage and spinach leaves. Do not over-stuff. Gently pull the bottom of the rice paper over the filling, tuck the filling in and roll. Fold in the sides of the rice paper. Gently but tightly roll like a burrito.
Place on the serving plate with your choice of chutney/dip. I made a simple mint chutney to dip these rolls in. For the chutney blend yogurt, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, chili, garlic in a food processor. Season with salt and dry mango powder.
I love to spoon mint chutney on every bite of spring roll.
If you are on Facebook I would love it if you Like my FACEBOOK page.
- 1 cup Red Lentils
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¾ tsp Chaat Masala
- ¾ tsp Cumin Powder (coarsely ground dry roasted cumin seeds)
- 1 Serrano chili (deseeded and finely chopped)
- ½ cup Cilantro
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup Mint Leaves
- ½ cup Cilantro Leaves
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- ½ Serrano Chili
- ½ tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Salt as per taste
- Rice Paper
- 2 Carrots (julienne)
- 1 cup Red Cabbage (chopped)
- 10 Spinach Leaves
- Heat a pot over medium heat, add rinsed red lentils and 2 cup of water. Cover and simmer until cooked. Drain the water.
- In a bowl add cooked red lentils, lemon juice, chaat masala, cumin powder, serrano chili, cilantro, salt and mix.
- Pour water in a bowl, large enough to dip a sheet of rice paper.
- Place a rice paper in the water and let it soak for 30 sec. Remove from the water, shake off the excess and place on a flat surface.
- Spoon red lentil mixture to the bottom ⅓ of the rice paper, top it with carrots, red cabbage and spinach leaves.
- Gently pull the bottom of the rice paper over the filling, tuck the filling in and roll. Fold in the sides of the rice paper. Gently but tightly roll like a burrito.
- Enjoy with a dip of your choice.
- In a food processor add yogurt, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, chili, garlic and give a pulse. Season
- with salt and dry mango powder.